It is very difficult to compare one clinic’s price with another as each clinic calculates their prices differently. IVF costs between clinics can vary by several thousands of Euros. IVF treatment packages advertised may include certain procedures, whilst at another clinic, they are considered an extra cost and this can be confusing. If you are from the UK – you may check what’s the average IVF cost in the UK and why UK based patient’s go abroad for an IVF treatment.
You may be interested in reading about the surprising cost of IVF abroad.
In order to calculate costs and compare like-with-like we have suggested using the following set of criteria below. Using this criteria may make it easier for you to compare the cost at one clinic with the cost at another. In almost all cases, it is assumed that all the tests required to start treatment will have been undertaken at home. If not, then these may be a further expense.
Everyone is different so you may need more or less treatment options but we hope that you are able to understand the costs involved in treatment a little better.
Need to find an IVF clinic to compare IVF costs?
Calculating Egg Donation Costs
For egg donation treatment the criteria which we suggest to compare like-with-like are:
- Initial consultation – this may be deductible from the final price.
- Sperm freezing – required so that there is a backup, or to reduce the amount of time spent abroad.
- Donor stimulation – drugs for the donor are sometimes not included in the price, so check this.
- ICSI – usually always used in treatment.
- Embryo Monitoring
- Cultivation to blastocyst – some fertility clinics do not always include this in the headline price so best to check.
- Embryo freezing using vitrification method – why vitrification? Find out more about embryo freezing here.
- Medication for you as a recipient is rarely included in any price promoted by a clinic.
Calculating IVF Costs
For IVF treatment the criteria which we suggest to compare like-with-like are:
- Initial consultation
- Sperm freezing
- Screening of diseases for male and female partner (mandatory)
- Sedation – check that this is included as sometimes it is an additional cost
- Embryo monitoring
- Cultivation to blastocyst
- Embryo freezing using vitrification method -why? Find out more about embryo freezing here.
- Medication for you is rarely included.